[Zope] Content Management System

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:59:24 +0200

Hi!

> I know you can restrict permissions on just about every available method,
> and I am aware of the current skinnable zope project, which may improve the
> situation drastically.  But I'm interested to know, how many of you offer
> the Zope TTW interface to clients as a content management system, and how
> many just use it as a development interface?  I'm beginning to wonder if
> content management and system administration should be split out into
> separate subsystems.  Or if a CMS Tool Kit should be developed.  (workflows,
> syndication, etc...).  But I'm still far from being a zope power user
> myself, and have yet to appreciate the range of its potential.
>
> What do you people think?

We have some client who use Zope for (at least partly) doing CMS
on their site. But these are quite simple (thus no commitments, etc.)
When switching from a database centered approach to a more Zope based
(e.g. doing it via Zope Products) I actually splitted the management
interface in one for the main manager (we) and one more simple and
configurable one for the clients (starting with ..../admin ).

I now used it in two subprojects and it seems to work. The only thing
I need to think about more specifically is how to factor out the
client-side of the management interface more clearly as right now
it's very much weaved into the actual classes.

Also I am thinking about possibilities to split the actual data from
the presentation and to make the presentation pluggable. But this is
quite raw at the moment ;-)

cheers,
  Christian