[Zope] Problems with mysql and sql methode

Richard Moon richard@dcs.co.uk
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:00:22 +0100

At 09:41 23/10/00, you wrote:
> > MySQL is case-sensitive over table names, so MERCHANTPAYMENT is not the
> > same as merchantpayment.
>
> > Other databases (Postgresql, Informix) are not.
>
> > Perhaps the Access/ODBC interface hides the case-sensitivity while the
> > direct ZMySQLDA does not ?
>
>Hmm, I'm not very clear about differences between handling of (table,
>column) names
>in sql-databases, but postgres IS case sensitive (in some sense).

Well I'm confused !!!

I have two databases , one MySQL (3.23.25) one PostgreSQL (7.01), both with
the same schema. Both have a table 'artist'. The following SQL Method (Zope
2.2.1) works with both

select a.artist_id,a.known_name,a.initials
from artist a
where <dtml-sqltest surname type=string>

Change this to

select a.artist_id,a.known_name,a.initials
from ARTIST a
where <dtml-sqltest surname type=string>

it still works with PostgreSQL but with MySQL I get

"Table 'tunedb.ARTIST' doesn't exist"

Change this to

select a.artist_id,a.known_name,a.initials
from ARTIST a
where <dtml-sqltest SURNAME type=string>

Then it still works with PostgreSQL, provided you also change the argument
to the SQL Method from surname to SURNAME.

When you click on the Test tab of an SQL Method it shows the SQL generated
and you can see, in the above example, that the uppercase words are passed
through unchanged to the database

viz.

select a.artist_id,a.known_name,a.initials from ARTIST a where SURNAME =
'Molloy'

In what circumstances is PostgreSQL case-sensitive ?

Richard