[Zope] OT:NT and rebooting

Wolfgang Strobl ws@mystrobl.de
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:30:33 +0200

On 25 Oct 2000, at 16:50, Bill Anderson wrote:

> OK, tim e fo rme to weigh in on this. Reboot frequency is a matter of
> experience and perspective.

I don't believe that broadening the discussion along these lines
will serve this mailing list in any way, so I refrain from
commenting on most of these statements. Just let me remark
that I dislike marketing gibberish independed of the origin it
comes from.

I made my point, i.e. as long as Zope isn't up to serving as a
single-instance long time server anyway, who cares about the
underlying OS.  It might be hard to comprehend for some, but
this statement doesn't say anything about how I value uptime
rates.

[...]

> If, on the other hand, you don't come from that background or need, and
> are not used to that type of environment, a few months to six months to
> nearly a year can mean something to you.

Well, I still remember the times when my companies large IBM
mainframe had to be IPLed for hardware maintenance, after
running literally for years, while our Unix based workstations and
servers celebrated their crashes almost daily.  In these times, I
had to relink the kernel and to reinstall the OS, in order to add a
lousy floppy drive or some memory to my Unix workstation. Eeek.

The statelessness of NFS, for example, came for a reason, you
know.

--
Wolfgang Strobl