[Zope] ANN: NewsCenter0.1.0

Kapil Thangavelu kthangavelu@earthlink.net
Sat, 02 Sep 2000 16:51:08 -0700

available @

http://www.zope.org/Members/k_vertigo/ZopeProducts/NewsCenter

from the README

<b>Current Status:</b>
- I've realized that Zope sites tend to keep user info in a variety of
formats, so rather than reduplicating that info within NewsCenter, I've
implemented a hook

get_syndicated_content(channel_ids, lastdate=None)

which will retrieve all the items of a channel that are newer than
lastdate. if lastdate is none it retrieves all items from the last 24
hrs. this hook can be used to build
syndicated content in the form of user pages and emails.

- NewsCenter supports aggregate channels in the ocs format.
- NewsCenter support searching of channels.
- NewsCenter supports channels in the RSS format version (0.9-1.0)
- i've imported over 1965 channels using ocs files from

        http://www.xmltree.com/export/ocs.cfm
            and
        http://www.moreover.com/categories/ocs/ocsdirectory.rdf

from the CHANGES file

version 0.1.0 The Birthday Boy Release
- THIS RELEASE IS NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE
- This release has been tested on zope 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 on linux
  if there are any problems running it on windows please let me know
(kthangavelu@earthlink.net)

- Channel.py has undergone massive changes
  - no longer uses XMLDocument, hence XMLDoc. is not required
  - implements syndicated content hook
  - supports all RSS versions (0.9-1.0)
  - no longer registered as a top level class
  - implements image tags of RSS (only for v.91+)
  - no longer causes ZCatalog to throw spurious errors on intial
update()
  - renamed to remove references to rss

- NewsCenter.py
  - ocs channels maybe added from filesystem.
  - returns elasped time on most actions of management view- channels
tab.
  - implements syndicated content hook (see README for more info)
  - minor changes to management interface to support 1K+ channels
  - internal storage renamed to remove references to rss

- The product is now released under one license the LGPL
- total channel count i've gotten is up to 1965 (albeit with some
duplication).

Cheers,

Kapil