[Zope] How do I start ?

Willem Oudyk Willem@pangaea.nu
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 09:54:11 +1000

Hi,

I have just discovered Zope and am interested in developing a web based
application but I don't know where to start.
While I am going through the documentation, which will be of help no doubt,
I hope these initial questions attract some replies.

Here are some of my starting requirements;

1) I need to create a small DB retrieval(mainly) system with only 000's of
records and possibly 00's of users.
2) Only a few nominated users will have update rights to the data.
3) The user needs to be able to search for all occurrences of any of the
data items presented to them
4) It seems the users have a UNIX infrastructure with an existing DB that
is ODBC compliant and has data items which  I need to retrieve and update.
5) Re: this last point, I'm not sure of yet if my app also needs to be
hosted by the UNIX server or whether it can have it's own server and simply
make ODBC calls to the UNIX box. I also don't know what would be
preferable. I guess having it all on the same box is more efficient.
6) I am based in Australia and if anyone is in the same timezone (ie.
Melbourne) it would be great to make personal contact.

I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Willem Oudyk
14 Fortescue Grove
Vermont Sth. Victoria 3133
Australia Ph/Fax: +61 (3) 9887 9121