[Zope] locale and Splitter.c on FreeBSD - where is the bug ?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 09:05:09 +0200 (CEST)

Aleksander Salwa writes:

 > Some time ago I had a problem with locales on FreeBSD.
 > On all machines I'm working on, 'char' is signed.
 > On Linux/x86, isalpha and others works fine with positive and negative
 > values of national characters. (For example, one polish character is
 > '\xc6', what can be evaluated as unsigned 198, or signed -58.)
 > But on FreeBSD/x86 these functions work only with values >127.
 > Because 'char' is signed, it needs casting to work with national
 > characters.
 >
 > Now, the question is: is it a bug in Splitter.c or in FreeBSD system
 > libraries ? (or misconfigured system)
Probably in the FreeBSD library, because not only "Splitter.c"
uses "char" for strings but almost all C modules I know of.

Nevertheless, you patch to "splitter" should be welcome
as it solves a usability problem on FreeBSD systems.
Put it into the collector (URL:http://classic.zope.org/Collector).

You may file a problem report to the FreeBSD maintainers in
parallel.

Dieter