[Zope] Zope and the GPL poison pill

Bill Anderson bill@noreboots.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:38:14 -0600

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>
> > LICENSE
> >    GPL
>
> I've seen several Zope products using the GPL. In my not so
> humble opinion, this could develop into a serious problem
> for Zope deployment. I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV),
> but the use of GPL'ed source code like e.g. Renderable ZClass
> in your web site probably means that you're now forced to publish
> every single bit of source built using the GPL'ed module --

No. This is clearly incorrect. The GPL only applies to the code, and modifications to said code. If you are in doubt as
to the licensaes of various systems, ask a lawyer. Many of the rest of us have.

> including commercial intranet projects. This can be impossible
> if you don't own the rights to every single piece of code used
> in a project.
>
> I hope Zope product developers think twice about using the GPL.
> The GPL license is not about sharing like e.g. the BSD license,
> it's about enforcing the political agenda of people who think
> that commercial ("proprietary") software w/o source code is evil.

Please, take license religous wars elsewhere. This is not an appropriate forum. This last paragraph sounds very
troll-like, or flame-baiting to me. This list is about using Zope.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are easy to annoy,
and have the root password.