[Zope] db newbie

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 02:13:52 -0500

>I feel strange, asking such basic questions, but I don't really know where
>to get started. I know a little bit about relational databases, but only a
>little. I've seen in the zope tutorial that you can send an SQL query to the
>database and use it to populate a list, but where do you build the initial
>database? I have MS Access. Do I build something in that on my desktop and
>upload it somewhere? Do I create a form to create the db from scratch?

Well, I don't think you will find a step-by-step "How do I build a DB and
use it in Zope", since Zope really does not deal with the issue. If you
have a Linux box (please tell me you do), you can install postgres and
follow their instructions of how to get PostGreSQL running. Then you create
a database in Linux.

Now, the rest we can handle with Zope. So you now need to install the
PyGreSQLDA, which will allow you to connect to postgres (please run Zope on
Linux, it will save you a lot of grieve). Now you connect to the DB using
the connection string "DBNAME@localhost postgres", where 'postgres' is the
DB user. Now that you are connected you can create a SQL method and create
your tables, functions, sequences, triggers and so on. Well, now you can
create other SQL Methods that will add, edit and delete records. You are done!

I know my instructions are very short, but I don't have enough time to
write many details, but I want to get you started. BTW, please do yourself
a favor and do not run anything serious on Windoze and especially Access. :-)

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter