[Zope] Design Question

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:09:27 +0100

Tim Cook wrote:

> Maik Roeder wrote:
>

>> I guess the Catalog doesn't support OR searches, which would
>> do what you need.

It supports keyword indexes, which will give you what you want.

> Actually the ZCatalog solution works. But having 15,212 instances
> of a ZClass in one BTree folder was pretty slow. I ASS-U-MEd that
> an external python method might provide a better solution?

Don't store them as ZClasses, and also in a ZCatalog. Just store them in
the ZCatalog.

You can set the ZCatalog up to store as metadata your key, and the list
of values. Then, also set up a field index on your key, and a keyword
index for your values. Write an external method that puts your keys and
values into the ZCatalog. You won't be storing these anywhere else in
the ZODB; they will exist only as data within the catalog. You'll access
them only as Catalog Brains.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer