[Zope] Version Control in Zope / Managing releases

Steve Spicklemire steve@spvi.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:02:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi Bob,

   I would be most interested to hear about your experience with
ZCVSMixin, or anyone elses! I've gotten very little feedback, and
what I have gotten, I've incorporated into the Product. The main
problems I see at this time are:

1) It doesn't handle recursion.... a lot of that has to be
don manually at this time.... this is close to the top of
my priority list... but time is very limited....

2) The Container/Contianment problem: Right now with ZCVSMixin you can
check in an entire ZClass (or any folderish object really...)
including all it's methods/properties/etc as one monolithic
'zexp'. You can also check in the methods of a ZClass as individual
objects. There is no way (right now) to check in 'everything about
this object *except* it's contents.... .  I'm not even sure how to
approach the problem.... ideas about this are most welcome! Right
now... our project is running two 'development' servers, and a 'live'
server, all sharing objects and classes with ZCVSMixin, (and plain old
CVS for the Product level Python bits...., but managed through the web
with ZCVSMixin.)

Are there other major issues I'm missing?

thanks!
-steve