[Zope] Non-caching version of POPMail ?

Loren Stafford lstafford@morphics.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:27:39 -0700

David,

I'm planning to modify POPMail (or more likely, make a derived product
POPMailNc) so that there is no persistent message cache. I just wanted to
pass the idea by you, so you could tell me if I'm doing something stupid or
if you've already solved my problem for me in a newer version of POPMail.

I'm using POPMail to couple my Zope server to another product
(PerfectTracker). Zope initiates Tracker incidents via sendmail and receives
(using Xron) every 5-10 minutes. I've discovered that if I ever delete
messages from the mailbox manually (i.e. using a POP client other than
POPMail) POPMail's persistent message cache gets hopelessly out of sync with
the mailbox, and it begins to deliver messages from its cache when there are
new messages with the same UID in the mailbox. That's bad.

While I don't need to delete messages behind POPMail's back, I can't really
prevent someone from doing so, due to the nature of our mail system. So I
propose to make POPMail's cache non-persistent (I guess it really wouldn't
be a cache then, would it?). I don't expect a performance problem, because,
if I delete old messages regularly I will never have more than a few hundred
messages in the mailbox. (Messages correspond to new employees.)

I think I can make uidDict and MessageDict nonpersistent simply by changing
their names to _v_uidDict and _v_MessasgeDict. Is that correct?

-- Thanks for your input
-- Loren