[Zope] Help: Zope is extremely slow

Peter Sabaini sabaini@niil.at
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:11:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Daniel Rusch wrote:

> Our user base has grown significantly in the last few weeks.
> Unfortunately at hours of peak usage Zope crawls to a halt and won't
> even serve up pages.
>
> we have NUMBER_OF_THREADS=4
>
> would increasing this help? Actually when we I check the processes (with
> ps -fe | grep py) I only see two the root thread and the thread that
> runs as nobody?
>
> Anybody have any suggests to help the performance of the site?
>
> Dan

since youre using "ps -ef" youre probably not running linux which
would list threads as separate processes -- other os'es do not.

i would say 4 threads is rather little, but that depends on what
machine you got, how much RAM, how big your ZODB is etc. we use 20 on
a fairly loaded production machine. just experiment a little -- take
some spare machine, copy your application/data, load it a little (for
instance with the "ab" utility that comes with apache), and try to set
the number to different values.

ru
peter.

peter sabaini, mailto: sabaini@niil.at