[Zope] Help: Zope is extremely slow

Mayers, Philip J p.mayers@ic.ac.uk
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:22:49 +0100

I'm rather hoping that Postgres isn't the problem, but I can reliably hang
my Zope site using what I think should be fairly reasonable code. Could you
try something for me - make a ZSQL query, a PythonScript, and a DTML
document, and in the pythonscript do this:

print context.standard_html_header(context,context.REQUEST)
for v in context.SQL_query(param1='whatever'):
    print context.dtml_document(context,REQUEST,
                                p1=v.p1,
                                p2=v.p2,
                                p3=v.p3,
                                <etc...>
                                p13=v.p13,
                                p14=v.p14,
                                p15=v.p15,
                                p16=v.p16)
print context.standard_html_footer(context,context.REQUEST)
return printed

The DTML document just has to contain anything: <P>Placeholder text</P>

Then call the PythonScript (access it's URL) as *fast* as you can (say as
fast a reasonable machine can generate the query). The more fields the SQL
query returns (and thus the more named parameters to the DTML document), the
easier it is to crash.

I get a mix of semi-hangs (child 4 threads dying), hangs (one of the 4 dies,
Zope locks up in handling a SIGSTOP as told by "strace -p pid -d", or
coredumps with sigsegv). And no, there are no hardware problems. This only
happens in very specific circumstances, but I can show you a page where it
happens all the time. *Something* is going on, and it's crippling my
development.

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers, Network Support     |