[Zope] RE: [ZCommerce] RE: Philip leaves Arsdigita (was:Re:[Zope]kerberos ? + LDAP + ecommerce + ZEO replication etc)

Walter Ludwick wludwick@mail.walmar.com
Thu, 05 Apr 2001 17:25:06 +0100

Hey, Chris:  No worries, man;  no more gargantuan e-mails from me, that i
promise.  I'll be brief (leaving off the overwrought analogies should save
mucho time:)   |/|/

on 4/5/01 3:49 PM, Chris McDonough at chrism@digicool.com wrote:

> I'd *love* to see this project scoped out.

Oh, good.   |/|/

> I just bristle at the notion
> that *DC* absolutely, incontravertably has to "own" it

Nobody has to own anything they don't want, of course.  I've been talking
all along in terms of *shared* ownership -- until your remark about me
wanting you to mow *my* lawn.  At that point, all the air went out of my
"let's scope-out this problem together" balloon.  |/|/

> We've decided to concentrate on
> the content management space, which has so far only proved to be
> tangentially related to ecommerce.  If you don't like this, I'm sorry, and
> we'll need to agree to disagree.

In fact i applaud this focus (did so explicitly in my mini-SWOT analysis).
I just thought, this being the ZCommerce list and all... y'know, maybe it
might be ok to bat the old e-commerce ball around a bit here.  Guess i
wandered into the wrong place;  s'cuse me!  |/|/

> Furthermore, I don't even think you and Albert are talking about the same
> problem.  I believe Albert is talking specifically about porting ACS'
> ecommerce module to Zope.  You want collaborative filtering and
> personalization.  They aren't necessarily even related.  We've been talking
> about OpenACS' ecommerce module as if it's the holy grail, but are you sure
> it solves your actual problem?

I stopped looking for the holy grail in technology circles many moons ago.
But i've been around this game long enough that i can match solutions up
with problems as well as most solution-buyers.  OpenACS is no cure-all, but
it does solve a lot of problems that Zope doesn't, which problems have for
me (and many others, from what i gather) grown to the point of warranting
(additional) investment.  |/|/

> Have you thought about what it doesn't have
> that you want?

Yes.  |/|/

> To address the rest of your mail, I don't doubt your experience nor do I
> think that having a Zope "ecommerce story" is a bad idea.  My problem is
> understanding how it's possible that DC *needs* to do this.

Nobody needs to do anything about anything, in fact.  You do what you do,
ignore what you ignore.  And there are consequences.  |/|/

> Do you think
> we're just a bunch of guys sitting around without a plan who need to have
> some structure put in to our lives or what?

No.  |/|/

> I will reiterate that Zope is a platform.  You can build on it what you
> like.  Please, go ahead!  Don't wait for us!
>
> - C

Got it loud and clear.  Next business problem i see that seems to warrant my
investment, i know who not to consult.  Thanks for the time/money-saving
pointer, Chris.

|/|/alt
Walter Ludwick
wludwick@mail.walmar.com