[Zope] S...L...O...W Zope

Bak @ kedai kedai@kedai.com.my
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:57:44 +0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Blevins <bblevins@fredericksburg.com>
To: zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>
Date: Friday, April 06, 2001 8:31 PM
Subject: [Zope] S...L...O...W Zope

>fredericksburg.com serves between 30 and 50 thousand page views per day
>using Zope.
>

>Several times per day, the management side of zope slows to a crawl
(several
>minutes between pages). The Web side slows, but not as noticeably. Most
>times, restarting zope (3-4 times per day) helps. Other times we have to
>restart everything.
>
>On this box we have other Zope installations as well as other non-zope
>sites.
>
>In order to get help from the list to fix this regular and frustrating
>problem, what would you need to know?

we have experienced the same problem[http://www.nst.com.my].
 what's your setup like?  what OS?  are you using zeo?  how's the input of
data done? zope version?  any access to RDBMS?

what we've done
setup zeo
seperate editorial function to one zeo client
serve up pages via many other zeo clients.
use balance to balance the load.[balance.sourceforge.net]

previously, we use dns round robin.  it works, up to a point.  at peak load,
it takes quite some time to establish connection.  we then tried
mod_backhand.  works, but not quite.  had a little problem with ie.  tried
balance, and currently, everything works great.
[backhand.org]

to help make things even snappier, we installed mod_gzip.

and we hope this great response time stays.

we use apache to frontend zope.  and from experience, whenever there's more
than 100 simultaneous connections, apache will take sometime to load.

this may shed some light somewhat
http://zope.nipltd.com/public/lists/zope-archive.nsf/Main?SearchView=&Query=
what+is+high+load&SearchOrder=1&Start=1&Count=20

hth