[Zope] Interbase Anyone??

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:37:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Lee Catlett wrote:

> I'm interested in know if anyone has any stats on which is the most used
> database with Zope, or the one which give the most bang for the buck.
> Thanks,

MySQL:       some bang / 0 bucks     = infinity

Interbase:   good bang / 0 bucks     = infinity

PostgreSQL:  great bang / 0 bucks    = infinity

Access:      tiny bang / small bucks = .002

Oracle:      great bang / big bucks  = .004

In all seriousness, though, out of the Open Source contenders, I think
PostgreSQL is a great choice. It has every feature I'd look for in a
serious database, including procedural languages, triggers, views, etc.
It is available for Unix and (with a little help) Windows.

Interbase has great setup tools and Windows support, but lacks some
important features (SELECT CASE ... comes to mind).

MySQL is small and lean, works great under Unix and Windows, but has the
fewest number of real features IMHO.

Of course, if you have the money, I hear that Oracle makes a database

And, of course, Microsoft makes a database, but from what I hear, it runs
much faster under Windows NT that under Windows 2000...

HTH,

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>