[Zope] nothing to see here - case closed

Albert Langer Albert.Langer@Directory-Designs.org
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 06:38:45 +1000

  "But... how did it get in there?"

  "Well, the bathroom window's open. I expect she came in
through that."

  Richard looked at him, not for the first and certainly not for the
last time, through eyes that were narrowed with suspicion.

  "You're doing it deliberately, aren't you?" he said.

  "Doing what, my dear fellow?"

  "I don't believe there's a horse in your bathroom," said
Richard suddenly. "I don't know what is there, I don't know
what you're doing, I don't know what any of this evening means,
but I don't believe there's a horse in your bathroom." And
brushing aside Reg's further protestations he went up to look.

The bathroom was not large.

  The walls were panelled in old oak linenfold which, given the
age and nature of the building, was quite probably priceless, but
otherwise the fittings were stark and institutional.

  There was old, scuffed, black-and-white checked linoleum on
the floor, a small basic bath, well cleaned but with very elderly
stains and chips in the enamel, and also a small basic basin with a
toothbrush and toothpaste in a Duralex beaker standing next to the
taps. Screwed into the probably priceless panelling above the
basin was a tin mirror-fronted bathroom cabinet. It looked as if it
had been repainted many times, and the mirror was stained round
the edges with condensation. The lavatory had an old-fashioned
cast-iron chain-pull cistern. There was an old cream-painted
wooden cupboard standing in the corner, with an old brown
bentwood chair next to it, on which lay some neatly folded but
threadbare small towels. There was also a large horse in the
room, taking up most of it.

  Richard stared at it, and it stared at Richard in an appraising
kind of way. Richard swayed slightly. The horse stood quite still.
After a while it looked at the cupboard instead. It seemed, if not
content, then at least perfectly resigned to being where it was until
it was put somewhere else. It also seemed... what was it?

  It was bathed in the glow of the moonlight that strearned in
through the window. The window was open but small and was,
besides, on the second floor, so the notion that the horse had
entered by that route was entirely fanciful.

  There was something odd about the horse, but he couldn't say
what. Well, there was one thing that was clearly very odd about it
indeed, which was that it was standing in a college bathroom.
Maybe that was all.

Douglas Adams

Dirk Gently's
Holistic
Detective Agency

ISBN 0 330 30162 4

http://pcbo.dcs.aber.ac.uk/hhgttg/temp/dirk1.txt

via

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:pcbo.dcs.aber.ac.uk/hhgttg/temp/dirk1.t
xt

horse, in the bathroom                            I:8/60,62;10/72;18/139;
                                                  21/161;28/206.

The Ultra-Complete Index to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
http://www.atomiser.demon.co.uk/mh/faq/guide2.htm