[Zope] textarea editing alternatives

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:18:02 +0200 (CEST)

Alex Verstraeten writes:
 > I'm on the long quest to find a nice way to work with zope.
 > the alternatives are webdav, ftp and the built-in web management screens
 >
 > WebDAV and FTP has the same problems: no syntax checking support on 'save' ,
 > no versioning support, no way to create a non dtml-document object, not all
 > editors have built-in ftp support, so you have to mount ftp as a filesystem
 > or use some tools to handle that..
Recently, someone reported improved error messages for "FTP" save
(he put his patch into the Collector). As I understood the
announcement, syntax is checked and problems reported the same
way as for ZMI.

There is a proposal how non-standard object types can be created.
I think, there is even an implementation around. Saw recently
something in a mailing list (think "zope-dev").

Versions are implemented by cookies. FTP and WebDAV do not
support cookies, but it would not be difficult to use
the built-in product SiteAccess (more precisely, its AccessRule)
to map folders to cookies; e.g.

   /Version/<version>/<url>

would set the cookie for <version> and then access <url>.

This way, it could be used easily be FTP.

I am not sure about WebDAV, as it uses the source port
and I am not sure whether AccessRules are executed
for these traversals. But I think, there is a good chance.

Dieter