[Zope] dtml-var AND dtml-tree

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:06:31 -0400

Jim Washington wrote -

> > It's always a temptation to patch and add features since it's so easy to
do
> > with Zope.    But it's a bit dangerous because the changes could get
lost or
> > forgotten when you upgrade to a new version. Also, other people can't
use
> > your code unless they install the changes too.
> >

> Patches like this probably should be done in a manner like hot-fix
> products.  DC's hot-fixes reside in the Products directory and generally
> override a Zope internal function or two.  Take a look at one.  They are
> not very complicated.

Yes, I looked and see how they set things up in an __init__.py script, very
slick.  A nice thing about Python is that you can actually replace functions
and class  methods without changing the original source code, if you can get
the new definitions installed after the original ones are imported.  I used
to change how urllib handled file: URLs that way (not in Zope).  When do the
Hotfixes get run, do you know?

Cheers,

Tom P