[Zope] large images to a database via zope.

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 05:00:35 -0400

--On Tuesday, April 17, 2001 02:41:05 -0400 marc lindahl <marc@bowery.com>
wrote:

> So much for size, now for performance.  Ethan, though zope isn't
> 'optimized for the rapid delivery of large binary objects', is it better
> at pulling them out of an object than the local FS?  OR via a DB adapter?
> For any particular reasons (multithreading, maybe?)

Well, a thread is locked for the entire time it is writing out to the end
user. So get 4 simultaneous requests for a large file, and your site is now
unresponsive (in a stock install.)
Plus, ZServer doesn't really support http 1.1, so requests for an offset
into the file currently result in the entire file being served.

In addition, there is still some overhead in treating it like an object, so
it should be slightly slower than the local FS, though perhaps not slower
than via a DB adapter.

> Why the hard timeout?  Wouldn't it make more sense to have a timeout based
> on the inter-packet time (or can't that be seen from zope)?

Yes. patches accepted :)

> Is there any how-to's or anything on proxy caches?  I noticed linux comes
> with one called SQUID...  has anyone set up Zserver with it?

I use mod_proxy in apache, but it's not the brightest of caches. I think
there are around 5 howtos on the subject, plus http://www.zope.org/About
SQUID is better, in general (works well with the cache manager), and almost
http 1.1 compliant.

Hope that helps,
--
-mindlace-