[Zope] Child/Parent Object Searches

Casey Duncan cduncan@kaivo.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:41:32 -0600

complaw@hal-pc.org wrote:

> The PAT in this case is a patent.  PRIO is a prior art reference.
>
> One of the formal characteristics of a patent is a filing date.  It is important
> to get as early a filing date as possible so that the patent examiner has less
> prior art to throw against you.  Thus, if your "new" invention is a minor
> improvement to an existing patent application, you can file what is called a
> "continuation-in-part" application that depends upon the filing date of the
> parent application (and thus becomes a "child" application).  The childern too
> can have their own children, and so on.  That is how you get the heirarchy.
>
> However, one of the rules is that you must disclose to the patent office a list
> of prior art references that you know about.  That list should include prior art
> references from other (related) applications, i.e., ones that have the same
> original parent, including all children from that parent.
>
> As we recieve office actions from the patent office, we need to be sure that we
> disclose the art cited in the office action in the related applications.  I'm
> trying to create an application that does just that -- gives a list to the
> practitioner of the art sited in other cases.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron

Sounds to me like you need to first recursivly ascend through the
parents and then recursively decend those objects.

superValues() can be used to ascend.

objectValues() can be used to decend.

isPrincipiaFolderish or meta_type=='PAT' can be checked on each object
to see if you need to further decend it.

--