[Zope] Forking the Mailing List

Brian Hickman bkkr@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:54:53 -0700

Forking the mailing list may make sense, except for the idea of a "NEWBIES"
list. In any community, the ignorant learn by listening to the more
experienced.  I suggest that the real problem is not that this mailing list
covers too many topics, but that we need a better way to preserve, organize
and retrieve the questions and the better answers.

In parallel to forking the list, I propose that we, as a community, with
DC's guidance, determine the best way to capture the value of the mailing
list -- a repository of problems faced by members, coupled with solutions
from other members.

My proposal is that DC builds or blesses a detailed topic map re. knowledge
of Zope (Installation, RDMS, DTML, Security, the various products, etc.) on
Zope.org, and invites members to contribute to filling in the topic map with
questions, answers, example code, etc.  A FAQ + a topic map.  ZDP started
this process, but this tool needs to be the first thing one thinks of before
they ask the list a question.

I would love to buy a book that extracted the best questions and
answers/examples found on this list in the last two years, weeded out the
fluff, and organized the rest.

Brian