[Zope] Forking the Mailing List

Lee Hunter humcommunications@hotmail.com
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:58:36 -0400

>Brian Hickman writes:
>  > My proposal is that DC builds or blesses a detailed topic map re.
>knowledge
>  > of Zope (Installation, RDMS, DTML, Security, the various products,
>etc.) on
>  > Zope.org, and invites members to contribute to filling in the topic map
>with
>  > questions, answers, example code, etc.  A FAQ + a topic map.  ZDP

I'm a technical editor at a mid-size software company and so I might be able
to speak to the question of Zope documentation. To me, what seems to be
desparately lacking is a real user guide. By that, I mean a highly
structured manual that is entirely focused on accomplishing common tasks and
procedures, rather than on Zope concepts and API.

This is not a criticism of what is available now - the more conceptual
material - the Zope Book and Dieter's book - are excellent resources and
required reading for anyone who wants to 'get' Zope. But (in an ideal world)
there should also be a very structured set of step-by-step procedures for
all of the basic tasks involved in putting together a typical site.

Much of that material is there already in the HowTos but to an editor's eye
the HowTos (taken as a group) are an overwhelming and utterly disorganized
jumble.

To do a proper user guide you would have to start from scratch and begin by
working out a table of contents.

In the table of contents the chapters, sections, and topic headings would
not contain any references to Zope jargon (ZClasses, DTML, ZPT etc) but
rather, they should be rigorously pruned down to simple objectives ("Index a
Website", "Add a Navigation Bar", "Process a Form", "Connect to a SQL
database" etc.).

Once you have a relatively complete TOC (although obviously you can't cover
everything) you can look at the existing sources - the HowTos, the Zope
Book, list archives etc -  and see what available material would cover the
topics in the outline. To do it properly, most of the HowTos would need a
great deal of pruning to get some kind of consistency, to remove the
conceptual stuff (which is useful but not in this context) and to reduce
them to a series of simple steps (a maximum of about ten steps per
procedure).

The end result would be something that would not be particularly
englightening for the ZopeZen Masters who can write Python scripts in their
sleep but could provide a tremendous productivity boost to the less-skilled
people who can and should be doing a lot of the grunt work but need lots of
handholding.

I've actually been tinkering a bit with a TOC for just such a manual but I'm
swamped with other projects at work and this would be almost a full time job
in itself.

Cheers

Lee Hunter