[Zope] re: Adobe GoLive and "Content-Type" HTTP header

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:22:16 -0400

This has been a known issue for a long time, and it's a fault of GoLive
(although not a huge fault - I think they're just erring on the side of
caution...  maybe too far to the side) not WebDAV.  A new version of GoLive
is supposed to be in development, and I know that we've reported this bug
ourselves, so maybe if enough people scream someone will hear :).

FWIW, The 'Content-Type' element you're referring to is a WebDAV Property i=
this case (found through a PROPFIND command), not the HTTP Header.  Zope
doesn't always fill in the DAV property, but does fill in the header.  Case=
*can* exist in WebDAV where the value of the header and the property can be
different.

This quote (from an Ars Technica article on Mac OS X, which starts letting
go of the dual fork functionality of the classic Mac OS) is always poignant
to remember in this situation (for better or worse... or worse and worse an=
worse...):

"""
Nevertheless, the dawn of the Internet and the lowest common denominator of
simple, one-dimensional file streams that it has spread across all of
computing, even to areas that the dominance of Windows had not yet reached,
makes support for "meta-data through file name mutilation" a necessary evil=
.
""" <http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/01q2/macos-x-final/macos-x-12.html>

It wasn't supposed to be this way, but it is.  :/

resource forks (or object databases) forever!

http://www.digicool.com/ | http://www.zope.org