[Zope] Zope interfacing with C

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:57:26 -0400

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 11:35:26PM +0100, Lee wrote:
> Hi there,

[Some questions about working with C programs snipped]

Essentially, if you can get the data back quickly enough, you should have
no problem.  (You don't want the browser to time out waiting for a
response).

You have two major options in working witht the programs, both
probably involve External methods.  you can invoke the 'C' program
from a system call and have it drop something into a LocalFS accessible
directory.  Or you can pipe something.

This is oten a matter of taste, but in the case of visualiztion, may
not be.

For example.  I am working the following system.  I have engineering
(ACAD) drawings on several servers and a database that keeps a name
to URN correspondence.  Once a drawing is requested, it is pulled
back to the Zope server (via rsync), and converted to any of several
JPEGs, PNGs, PDFs, or PS files.  These may be put in a filespace for
viewing, or they may ve piped directly to a printer.

Again, the only question is speed, make sure you get back to the
browser in a timely manner.

Jim Penny