[Zope] File storage question.

Dunigan, Craig craig.dunigan@esker.com
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:48:18 -0500

Hi Allen, Welcome to Zope!

Unless you've installed a Zope product called LocalFS or one of its cousins,
the "files" in Zope are actually objects in the ZODB.  The ZODB itself is a
single file called "data.fs," and it usually lives in the var directory.
Administrative note:  this is the file to back up, with it and a fresh
install of Zope you can recreate your entire site.

If you removed index_html, then you already know a little about the
management interface.  Go back in there and create a new DTML Document
called "index_html" in the same location as the one you deleted, containing
whatever you'd like, and that'll fix your 404.  At this stage of the game,
you can just put HTML in there and worry about DTML a bit later.

Yes, the "_" is not only the default, but necessary.  You can't change it to
a ".", it confuses Python.  Once you get used to it, you'll find you really
don't have to care what the "files" in Zope are called, and since it's not
really a file anyway, the lack of a "." and file extension doesn't matter at
all.

Hope this helps!

Craig Dunigan
Web Programmer
Esker Software - Extending the Reach of Information
mailto:craig.dunigan@esker.com
Ph. 608.273.6000
Fax 608.273.8227
http://www.esker.com