[Zope] Error starting Zope

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:09:51 +0200 (CEST)

Blue, Neil writes:
 > I have now installed Python 1.5.2 and Zope 2.3.1, however when I try to
 > start Zope I get the following error:
 >
 >  Built-in exception class not found: EnvironmentError.  Library mismatch?
 > Warning!  Falling back to string-based exceptions
 > Traceback (innermost last):
 >   File "/home/sites/home/users/admin/Zope-2.3.1-src/z2.py", line 542, in ?
 >     import ZServer
 >   File "/home/sites/home/users/admin/Zope-2.3.1-src/ZServer/__init__.py",
 > line 87, in ?
 >     from medusa import max_sockets, asyncore
 >   File
 > "/home/sites/home/users/admin/Zope-2.3.1-src/ZServer/medusa/asyncore.py",
 > line 466, in ?
 >     import FCNTL
 > ImportError: No module named FCNTL
The standard Zope start script sets "PYTHONHOME" to its own folder.
This tells Python not to look at the standard places for
its standard library but inside the Zope folder.

When you installed Python and Zope independently, then
there will probably be no Python library inside the Zope folder.
The resulting error message looks exactly like yours....

The easiest way to fix this problem is to make a symbolic
link to the correct python library inside Zope's lib
folder. E.g., if your Python is installed under "/usr/local",
then:

	"ln -s /usr/local/lib/python1.5 lib

in your Zope installation folder your remove the problem.

Dieter