[Zope] CFM installation under Windows

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper@rice.edu
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:37:19 -0500

>The CFM installation has instructions for UNIX/LINUX; but not forWindows.
>
>I'm a complete novice with ZOPE and want to instal CFM and use it to train
>myself.
>
>Can someone point me to the doc for this?

CMF, you mean? Never heard of a CFM.

First, don't assume that there are docs for something. There may or may
not be, so you should be prepared to figure it out yourself, which may
include asking on the newsgroup. The CMF is lacking generally in
narrative docs, although there are people working on this right now.

Second, I might suggest the zope-cmf list as a better forum for asking
about the CMF. I'm not going to cross-post this, but that's the best
place for CMF stuff.

So, to finally answer your question, go and take a look at the install
doc again, but ignore the Unixish example commands. The steps are
generally true for all platforms, although it does use a few Unixisms.
Basically the gist is this:

o download the install file.
o uncompress/unarchive it into a temporary area.
o copy, move, or link the directories inside what was just decompressed
to the Zope products folder. This is something like
'zope/lib/python/Products' in the standard install.
o restart Zope and check that everything made it.
o create a CMF Site object and you're ready to roll.

However, I might caution that it would be better to become more familiar
with Zope before diving into the CMF. It's another whole level of deep
magic.

            --jcc
       (carved deep)