[Zope] Another plea about Large File Support

Takashi Linzbichler takashi.linzbichler@smartferret.com
Sat, 04 Aug 2001 14:49:22 +0200

Hi, Chris,

Chris Withers wrote:

> The system I'm working on is Debian 2.2 (potato) with a ReiserFS 3.5 partition
> on it. I'm assured that on this setup, I should be able to have files of up to
> 4GB in size, currently I get barfage at exactly 2GB :-(

Unfortunatly ReiserFS 3.5 seems to be unable to use Linux LFS :-(

You should use ReiserFS 3.6

[From http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html ...]

     ReiserFS 3.5.x (not part of the kernel, separate patch)
           Does not support LFS

     ReiserFS 3.6.x (part of kernel 2.4.1 and newer)
        Full support for LFS if the new on disk format is used. This
	format is incompatible to the format used by 3.5.x (see below for some
	more details).

[...]

Note for ReiserFS

Chris Mason wrote:

Disks formatted with the current 2.2 code are called our 3.5 disk
format. They will not support large files under any kernel (even the 2.4
code).

But, you can mount a 3.5 disk format under the 2.4 kernel code, and use
-o conv. This will turn on large file support for the old disks, but
only new files will be allowed to grow past 2GB.

Once you mount with -o conv, you can't mount under 2.2 any more. We are
testing a back port of the LFS disk format to 2.2, it should be ready
soon. It has the same -o conv mount option that our 2.4 code has, so all
the same rules will apply.

[eoq]

hth,
	ta

smartferret it-consulting Dipl.-Ing. Linzbichler KEG

Dipl.-Ing. Takashi Veikko Linzbichler
Tannhofweg 28/3
A-8044 Graz, Austria

Tel.:   0316 / 39 89 40 -0