[Zope] Zope questions

Steve Spicklemire steve@spvi.com
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:08:45 -0500

Hi Dave,

On Wednesday, August 8, 2001, at 08:42 AM, Dave Swegen wrote:

> Hi! I'm currently looking at the possibility of using zope for our new
> intranet. However, I unsurprisingly have a few questions with regards to
> its capabilities.

That's only natural.

> Zope seems great as far as creating original content, and managing
> users. However, from what I've seen, using external tools seems
> trickier. For instance, we have a lot of tools which generate plain HTML
> pages (using everything from cron driven shell scripts to handwritten
> HTML). We obviously don't wish to reinvent all these tools (or give up
> the flexibility). How much would we lose switching to zope?

This HTML ends up on the filesystem?

http://www.zope.org/Members/jfarr/Products/LocalFS

> Also, we are going to be switching from using Notes (hack, spit) to web
> based software covering everything from bugtracking (possibly Bugzilla)
> through calendering to project mangement. Since there doesn't seem to
> be a
> single product that does all this we are probably going to take a mix
> and match approach, using whatever we can find. What would be great is
> if all these various apps could be placed under zope's access management
> system. Would this be possible? Or would we have to duplicate access
> management for these external applications?

So long as you mix/match Zope products you'll probably be fine. Last
time I checked Bugzilla got most of its configuration from flatfiles.
There's a really cool Zope issue management product in CVS called
"Tracker" that works with Zope users and is quite flexible. It's
certainly worth a look.

> Also, does anyone have experience of intergrating bugzilla and zope?

Nope. ;-)