[Zope] fastcgi protocol

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru>
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:29:13 +0400 (MSD)

Hello!

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> hmm. I never really understand what value pcgi adds to zope
> more then in situations mod_proxy and friends are not available.

   No, you are wrong. PCGI protocol, for example, passess the entire
environment from Apache, including REMOTE_ADDRESS. Proxy screws the
REMOTE_ADDRESS.

> I did not make measurements, but from what I see from others,
> zope with pcgi is slower then zserver. You also loose the
> various zserver modules like ftp and the extra DAV source
> port. Even some upcoming extra services like smtp and imap
> can be used then.

   You are partially right, and partially wrong. You are talking about Zope
in PCGI-only (no ZServer) mode. Yes, this is slow and inconvenient. But
ZServer includes PCGI server, too. So run Zope with ZServer with PCGI, and
connect Apache with mod_pcgi2. This is a bit faster than mod_proxy.

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann     http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/     phd@phd.pp.ru