[Zope] external OID references [was: external RID references: bad idea?]

Gary Poster garyposter@earthlink.net
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:27:17 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dieter Maurer" <dieter@handshake.de>
> Gary Poster writes:
>  > ....
> I think it would be a bad idea.
>
> Mainly, because "rid"s are not persistently associated with objects.
> If someone calls "manage_catalogReindex", then all your rids change.
>

> Dieter

oh.

good call.

darn darn darn darn darn.

thank you very much.  OK, back to Casey Duncan's idea then: ZODB oids.  I'll
try to do my digging in the code tomorrow, but anybody see any problem with
using them as references?  That loses the built in metadata (and metadata
refreshing) of the catalog, but gives me...gives me...well, gives me a
smaller-size reference than a full path.  That really doesn't solve the main
problems that the catalog references helped me with.  And if the OIDs are
completely reliable, ZC presumably would have used them for space reasons
rather than full path info as the catalog's UID...or maybe the using the OID
"wakes up" the object...

Argh.  Back to the drawing board.  Thank you very much, Dieter and Casey.

Gary