[Zope] MIT CURL -- again

Casey Duncan cduncan@kaivo.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:29:08 -0600

Philippe Jadin wrote:

> >>At least let's hope we'll finally have one standard. (like html ? ;-) )
> >>

> >Great... a standard where we can't fix the bugs on our own :)
> >
> After some ultra complex thinkings, I then came to the conclusions :
>
> - trying to do complex gui in browsers is a waste of time
> - there are more than enough languages around
> - python is good
> - wxpython seems good too
>
> -> the most viable solution is to use a cross plateform language with a
> cross plateform gui toolkit. My vote goes to wxpython and python.
>
> Wasn't it "ultra complex" thinking ?
>
> Philippe

Comparing Python and Curl is largely like comparing Apples and Oranges.
Curl is like a designed version of DHTML, a markup language which
replaces HTML and at the same time a scripting language that replaces
JavaScript. Now granted, since the idea is to make is run client and
server-side, it certain overlaps other languages like Python or Java.
By, the *major* difference is that plain text is a valid curl "program"
or "document" (it certainly blurs the distinction), this makes it more
like DTML than like Python (except that is also runs client-side).

I find it interesting that they seem to be writing entire applications
using only Curl... I'm not sure that's the way I would approach it, but
is does seem like more of a general-purpose language than DTML is...

Another interesting thing is that Zope could conceivably server curl
right now (since it's just text), except it would only be executing on
the client-side (like DHTML).
--