[Zope] changing ZClass bases

Gilles Lenfant glenfant@bigfoot.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:40:18 +0200

Try this, but I did not test and the author says it may be dangerous for
your ZODB.

http://www.zope.org/Members/AlexR/ChangingBaseClasses

You can export a ZClass to XML but I did not try too... But AFAIK there's no
doc/DTD about this XML. The base classes appear in the XML.
Please feedback if you succeeded. Unfortunately, I only got a production
server (no development server) and I can't take such risks at the moment.

Cheers

--Gilles

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mitchell Model" <mlm@acm.org>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 3:59 PM
Subject: [Zope] changing ZClass bases

> I'm an extremely experienced object technologist just getting into Zope.
The Zope Book (p. 211) says that it's not possible to change the base
classes of a ZClass.  The wording and context are a bit ambiguous, so I'm
not entirely sure, but the obvious reading is that once you've defined a
ZClass you cannot add, remove, or replace any of its base classes.

> Is this true?  Or does it just mean "not through the techniques being
discussed in that part of the book"?  What do I do if I've been developing a
ZClass and decide I need to add (or remove) some functionality through base
classes?  For example, suppose I want to add persistence later on?  Is the
answer different if I don't have any instances I need to keep?  Is there a
way to export a ZClass to an editable text format, so I could delete it from
Zope, make the changes, then reimport it?