[Zope] Zope's performance on xBSD

Steve Spicklemire steve@spvi.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:42:29 -0500

Hi Giorgos,

On Friday, August 17, 2001, at 10:19 AM, Giorgos Verigakis wrote:

> Have you tested it on heavy load?
> If it's not a big problem, maybe you can run my program and tell me if
> you experience similar performance issues.
>

>> -steve
>>
>> On Friday, August 17, 2001, at 09:25 AM, Giorgos Verigakis wrote:

Yes.. I think I probably can, but maybe not today. One thing I do find
interesting about your numbers is that FreeBSD and OpenBSD both have
somewhat *higher* real hit rates under load than Linux, but the response
time for an individual request (esp your big request) is longer. This
suggests to me that your "big" request is being sacrificed at the alter
of all these other hits. (it's especially interesting that OpenBSD
appears to have 25% higher "real hit rate", and at the same time seems
to be unable to deliver your browser a complex page in less than about 5
minutes!) I also think that seeing a complex page rendered may be bit
too subjective a measure for my taste. It might be more instructive to
run two concurrent benchmarking programs, such as 'ab'. One fetching
simple urls at a high rate another fetching some highly complex dynamic
page. It seems to me that these two kinds of pages stress different
parts of Zope. The simple pages stress ZServer and the I/O bottleneck,
the complex processes just take a lot of processing internally before
ZServer gets a crack at delivering them to the "browser". It would also
be interested to adjust the number of Zope threads. Anyway.. random
mumblings. I will take a look at this! Thanks for bringing it up.

-steve