[Zope] Newbie questions

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:48:18 -0400

Hello,

I am new to python and zope, and am evaluating it for possible use as =
the
future contant management system for one of our websites.  I was =
wondering
if you could help me out with some presumably simple questions:

- My main issue is the integration of a python module (MapServer) into =
Zope.
This is a module compiled using SWIG, which ends up with a .py, .pyc =
and .so
file.  I've allready tried, quickly importing this module but without
success, I guess I will have to learn more about the security framework =
of
Zope.  The big thing is access to the file system.  Can I allow it in =
any
way? Can I trick the module into using Zope Objects instead of the file
system? Or can I override the default built-in security provisions that
prevent such access?  This is crucial to me.  The said module reads a
variety of data from the file system normally, and I need a way to make =
it
work under Zope.  I'm allready quite familair with it's perl version.

- The database where basic content of the site is kept, how stable is =
it?
How big a site can it hold? I noticed that the entire site seems to =
live
within one file.  The current, standard HTMl/Filesystem site takes =
around
600MB, how robust is the Zope storage back-end? What about performance =
with
large sites?

That's it for now :)

Thanks in advance!

Jean-Fran=E7ois Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support
GeoAccess Division
Canadian Center for Remote Sensing
Natural Resources Canada
http://atlas.gc.ca