[Zope] newbie-ish dmtl-in question

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper@rice.edu
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:20:54 -0500

>This answer is great! I guess the thing that puts me off about all the
>dtml/python stuff is the syntax of stuff I've never really seen in another
>programming language: an underscore then a dot to start the function off. I
>find that to be very strange.

For what I presume to be security reasons, DTML doesn't have access to
the Python built-ins. Instead it uses a number of DTML functions which
live in the DTML namespace (thus the underscore notation). You can see
these at

http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/AppendixA.dtml

in the 'functions' section, as well as in your friendly Zope Help DTML
reference.

Granted this is a rather curious way of accessing its built-in
functions. It should encourage you (nudge nudge) to work more with
Python Scripts (which are much more like the Python we know and love).

        --jcc
   (definitely love)

--
"It is concluded. Banquo, thy soul's flight,
If it find heaven, must find it out tonight."