[Zope] Re: image hot fix

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:56:26 -0400

> From: seb bacon <seb@jamkit.com>
>
> You'll have a hard time tracking down PyMagick.  However, as Shane has
> pointed out, is there a compelling reason for using python wrappers
> around native code anyway?  If you use popen2 or similar modules, you
> get to start the conversion in a separate process, and connect to
> its input/output/error streams using pipes.

Yikes!  The invitation's open for anyone to modify the product to use
ImageMagick in this way (just don't call it a hot fix :))

> With (potentially)
> intensive processes like thumbnailing a Photoshop image of unknown
> size, aren't you better off doing it in a separate process anyway?

If that's the paramter... for me, I don't see my site ever having images
that large, since they're mostly uploaded by users TTW, and otherwise the
highest quality would be for commercial magazine print, so we only need
maybe 300 dpi.

> You could even farm off conversion routines to a separate box.

for a really huge site, sure!  You'd have to look a the statistics of expect
amount and variation of thumbnails, etc. -- perhaps one of the other
approaches, like storing the thumbs in the image object, or manually
creating and storing thumbs, might be appropriate in those cases... depends
on alot of factors.