[Zope] rendering accented characters from postgres

Sion Morris pss086@bangor.ac.uk
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:01:59 +0100

Hello,

** Many apologies for sending this message as HTML before. **

I'm having problems rendering accented characters from Postgres. A
table with publication titles, mostly english, but also with welsh,
french and spanish titles does not render accented characters
properly in IE or Netscape. Using telnet on a Mac to access Postgres
on Linux with psql renders the titles correctly. The postgres table
is Latin 1 encoded.

Telnet does not attempt any translation as far as I can tell but can
display the text correctly. IE has the default character set of
Western (Latin 1) but does not render the text correctly; instead of
=E9 it displays Z=9D.

But, when I change the character set in IE to Western Mac the
characters display properly. Clients on Windows do not have this
character set.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong or which is the best
way to do this?

Hwyl,

Sion