[Zope] Yet Another Namespace Question

Roger Erens r.erens@eurosys.nl
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:10:49 +0200

Hello,

I'd just like to make sure that I interpret Zope Book's chapter 7 (Advanced
DTML scripting) correctly.

"But the DTML stack is not all there is to names because DTML doesn't start
with an empty stack, (...)"
"the client object is the first object on the top of the DTML namespace
stack."
"the request namespace is always on the bottom of the DTML namespace stack
(...)."

To me this sounds as if there could be a whole bunch of objects in between
these two objects, but I have not seen any proof of this. So I guess I stick
to this picture before execution starts?

|                  |
|  client object   | top of namespace stack
|                  |
|                  | ...really nothing in between?
|                  |
|  request         | bottom of namespace stack
+------------------+

Now suppose I have a folder X, containing objects A and B. I call a script
gimmeListing on X; gimmeListing uses <dtml-in objectValues>.
Hence the namespace would look like this in the first iteration?

|                  | \
|       A          |  \
|                  |   \
|       X          |    > this whole beast is the _ namespace? (Which has
some interesting
|                  |   /                                        attributes
such as len(),
|    REQUEST       |  /                                         getitem()
and range()

Thanks,

Roger