[Zope] [ANN] ZShell 1.3

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:51:47 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I'm very pleased to announce you the latest version of ZShell, the Zope
Shell.

This is the latest version which is not a Zope product (I promise), and
only bug fixes will eventually be added from now on.

New features are:

	* ZShellCLI is now part of the package, thanks to Andy McKay.
	  ZShellCLI is an independant executable script in Python which
	  allows you to use ZShell from your favorite command line.

	* Some bug fixes and syntax cleaning, thanks to Holger Lehmann,
	  Jean Jordaan, and Andy McKay.

	* Debian manual page for ZShell is now part of the package,
	  thanks to Jim Penny.

	* Five new commands were added:

		uptime: displays Zope's uptime
		dbname: displays Zope's database name
		dbsize: displays Zope's database size
		zope: search terms on zope.org

	and last but not least, the command everybody missed:

		exec: executes external commands

The exec command executes external commands as the user who
launched Zope (usually user nobody), e.g.:

		exec ls -la /

	WARNING: exec telnet needs more work ;-)

I'd be especially happy to receive informations/patches to make
the exec command work under Windows which I don't plan to test
personnally. It may work but I really don't know: you're on your own.

*** CONTEST ***
I'm planning to send a personnal (cheap) gift to the
author of the best or more interesting thing done using exclusively ZShell
commands, so if anybody has ideas on how to organise such a contest, or
want to be part of the informal jury, please let me know.
*** CONTEST ***

Any comment is welcome.

bye,

Jerome Alet - alet@unice.fr