[Zope] ANNOUNCE: Photo Product Update

Ron Bickers rbickers-dated-999785725.ffbc44@logicetc.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:15:25 -0400

Yes.  It's meant to replace the old, no longer maintained Photo product.
It's better in at least the following ways:

1) It uses Image/ExtImage objects to store the images, instead of string
attributes.  This cuts down considerably on memory use.
2) You have the option to use ExtImage to store files on the file system.
3) You have the option to use ImageMagick (instead of PIL) for better
resized photos.
4) There is a Photo Folder object for managing contained Photo properties
and display sizes.
5) It's maintained.

Andrew's Photo product also has an obscure bug that caused images to change
orientation (swap width/height) seemingly randomly.  I could reproduce it
through trial and error, but that's about it.  At least one other person
reported having the same problem.  I eventually fixed it with my own patch,
but decided a rewrite was in order.

> I'm on zope 2.4.x and the copying bug there is pretty scary.
> Should I care to start using your product instead of Drews?

The copy/paste bug only applies if you're using Photo with ExtImage on Zope
2.4.x.  If you use it with the Image store (ZODB), which is the default,
there are no known problems.  It's also not a problem if you use Zope 2.3.x
(which I don't either).

For the record, it's a Zope bug that affects ExtFile/Image.  It's not a
Photo bug, or even a ExtFile/Image bug, but it will affect you if you use
them together.

Ron Bickers
Logic Etc, Inc.