[Zope] Building Zope w/ Sun Forte (rather than gcc)

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 22:21:12 +0000

On Saturday, December 1, 2001, at 07:38 PM, Dieter Maurer wrote:

>> Well, I have similar experices in relation to Solaris including
>> _extremely_
>> poor performace, threading problems/strangness (that affect even
>> console-logging), and repeated core dumps. With Tony's report about his
>> Solaris troubles, I feel safe to exclude DCO2 as the mayor culprit.
>> So...
>>

>> Would it be reasonable to conclude that it **currently is not possible
>> deploy a High Availability Solaris based Zope solution**?
> I have build serveral Zope sites under Solaris (for my old employer).
>
> All have been slow, much slower than expected, but have been reasonably
> stable.

On our Solaris 7 system, most of our sites are stable. Under Solaris 8,
I'm getting python SIGILL core dumps.

>    *  Some lightly loaded sites sometimes stopped answering.
>       The problem disappeared almost completely, when they were
> regularly
>       checked.....

I can confirm that has happened with us too - maddeningly, it's very
difficult to track down.

>    *  For the main production site, Zope was much more stable than the
>       Oracle backend database. Most outages was caused by Oracle
> problems
>       calling for frequent Oracle restarts.
>       After an Oracle restart, Zope needed to be restarted, too.

We don't use Oracle, MySQL works fine for the sorts of things we need to
do.

> Threading was definitely working.

Dieter, if you still have access to this Solaris box, can you try out
the script that Oliver posted in the 'threading and performance' thread
on it and see what happens?

What I've done is this (and if I'm doing something wrong here I would
really appreciate people telling me);

I run this script;
<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<dtml-var ZopeTime>
<dtml-in "_.range(80)"><dtml-in "_.range(499)">X</dtml-in><br></dtml-in>
<dtml-var ZopeTime>
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

it takes about 15 seconds on a small Solaris 8 box I've been testing on.

I open up a management screen on Control_Panel and open up two browser
windows *on separate browsers* (I use IE5 and Mozilla) on this script.
Click 'view' on one, wait a few seconds, switch to the second browser,
select 'view' and then switch to the Control_Panel / debuginfo view to
see what's going on.

output is...
(solaris)
2001/12/01 21:01:09.61767 GMT
... xxx ...
2001/12/01 21:01:25.8206 GMT

and

2001/12/01 21:01:27.995 GMT
... xxx ...
2001/12/01 21:01:42.5978 GMT

ie the second script *waits* until the first one has finished.

This does *not* happen on MacOS-X, ie

2001/12/01 22:10:13.1872 GMT
2001/12/01 22:10:44.208 GMT

and