[Zope] Newbie comparison Zope, MSCMS and RedDot - editing content

Holger Lehmann holle@cat-serv.catworkx.de
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 12:02:12 +0100 (CET)

Hi Joshua,

there is a HowTo for Zope called, I believe, The Edit Properties Only
Howto, let's seee .... ah yes, here you go:

http://www.zope.org/Members/rlgines/propertiesOnly

BTW: you will have to locate the right spot in Properties.py yourself
since the sourcecode might have changed a bit by now.

We here at catWorkX took taht approach and extended it. It is now a fully
self containing patch residing in the Products directory and it is
becoming a fully fledged product. I have successfully applied it to ZClass
based objectes as well as normal, python based products.
I think we were going to release it once it became useable for the group
of non-Zope-hackers ;-)
I hacked a template mechanism into this so you have to define your look
and feel only once but can use it multiple times. So changing the template
will affect all the documents that use that template. I onbce had a
template add on ready that did behave nearly as the object from iuveno
(explained below), but I seem to have lost it somewhere in my 10+ Zope
installations :-)

The second very nice alternative is using a different approach. It is the
Kontentor Objekt from iuveno (seeking url .......):

http://demo.iuveno-net.de/iuveno/Products/Kontentor

They already have a sexy demo site put up, so you can have a "feel" of it.
Nevertheless, I was not able to set it up correctly -- maybe I should have
read the README more carefully ;-)

Then finally, you want to take a look at the CMF - the Content Management
Framework:

http://cmf.zope.org

Which is sort of the "ueber" projekt that tries to cover a whole lot more
than just the first two projects. It comes with a protal site demo that
let's you and others join and become memebers to be able to create you own
page. It is supposed to be able to do other stuff as well, although I have
not seen anything else yet. I am shure you can push it into the direction
of a CMS, but I do not know if that is not being done already. It
definitely has the cleaner approach, but requieres you to look into CMF
first, before you can write your own code.

- Holger

-----------------------------------
catWorkX GmbH Hamburg
Dipl.-Ing. Holger Lehmann