[Zope] Chat in CMF...

Jim Washington jwashin@vt.edu
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 07:46:39 -0500

Josef Albert Meile wrote:

> Does anybody know a chat tool for Zope?
>
> I know this one:  http://www.zope.org/Members/jwashin/ZRTChat. But it
> is too simple because if users don't speak, you don't
> know whether they are online or not.
>

> If there are no more tools, could everybody tell me how can I detect,
> from Zope, which users are online? Is it possible?

Hi, Josef

Usernames of logged-in users are sent with each page refresh.  You can
use that fact to collect the names of those who have refreshed pages
recently.  Since HTTP is "stateless", this is the only way to know.
 There are many java applets you could use that do not have this problem.

So, if you want to, for normal zope pages, (and probably CMF) you can
get username from AUTHENTICATED_USER.  In ZRTChat, username is zrtcuser.

-- Jim Washington