[Zope] [SQL] Retrieving info from the previous SQL insert

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:20:51 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> I have a SQL method which performs an INSERT in one table, followed by
> an INSERT into another table. The two INSERTs have to be in the same
> method because they need to be atomic.
>
> In the first table, there is an auto-incrementing field that the
> PostgreSQL DBMS assigns itself. I need the value of that field for the
> second INSERT and I don't see how to retrieve it inside the SQL
> method.

something along :

	SELECT curval('name_of_sequence');

if your fields is of type SERIAL then postgresql has automatically created
a sequence for you, which name is probably something like :

	seq_id_tablename

hth.

Jerome Alet