[Zope] Strange PCGI Problems

olpa@sybcom.de olpa@sybcom.de
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:14:22 +0100 (CET)

On Today, seb bacon wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Zope] Strange PCGI Problems
> Date: 20 Dec 2001 12:10:44 +0000
> Cc: olpa@sybcom.de, zope@zope.org
> To: Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru>
> From: seb bacon <seb@jamkit.com>
>
> On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 11:46, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:43:53PM +0100, olpa@sybcom.de wrote:
> > > yes... this works... but I want the automatic restart feature with pcgi...
> >
> >    This time I'd say "don't do this". PCGI restarts Zope in single-threaded
> > mode, while ZServer is multithreded (i.e., much faster).
>
> I admit I don't have the most scientific reasons for not using pcgi. So
> I could be way off the mark. But here's my understanding:
>
>  - it's less flexible if you want to do any virtual serving

is it script-able, from the shell view? I guess yes. At this time, we make
scripts for Rewrite-rules in apache and pcgi... this works fine... til
now!

>  - if you go for the VHM / rewrite route, there's less configuration to
> do: a single rewrite rule in your server context in httpd.conf
>
>  - you don't get things like the ftp port and the webdav source port
> with pcgi, i believe (?)

you are right

>  - why give yourself the extra overhead of starting a new wrapper
> process every time you want to connect to Zope?

the process is only restarted when the pcgi process kills itself, not for
every request... we have very long living pcgi processes here

>  - AFAIK, even the people who developed pcgi in the first place (i.e.
> ZC) don't use it any more.  It would be good to know if (a) I am right,
> and (b) if so, why not.
>
> Finally, let me turn the question around: why *should* you use pcgi?

'cause it is what I use all the time. I admit, it is a partly bad answer.
I will look forward your proposition.

I created the rewrite rules... and the VirtualHostFolder... I am a little
stuck with the error:

Site Error

Resource not found
Sorry, the requested resource does not exist.

Check the URL and try again.

Resource: TopLevelContentFolder GET

Troubleshooting Suggestions

    * The URL may be incorrect.
    * The parameters passed to this resource may be incorrect.
    * A resource that this resource relies on may be encountering an
error.

For more detailed information about the error, please refer to the HTML
source for this page.

If the error persists please contact the site maintainer. Thank you for
your patience.