[Zope] Strange PCGI Problems

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru>
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:30:38 +0300

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:10:44PM +0000, seb bacon wrote:
> I admit I don't have the most scientific reasons for not using pcgi. So
> I could be way off the mark. But here's my understanding:
>
>  - it's less flexible if you want to do any virtual serving

   I do not see any reason for this. I have no problem running many virtual
hosts.

>  - if you go for the VHM / rewrite route, there's less configuration to
> do: a single rewrite rule in your server context in httpd.conf

   Hm. A single configuration line is enough for mod_pcgi2.

>  - you don't get things like the ftp port and the webdav source port
> with pcgi, i believe (?)

   It dependes on how you have started Zope. Single-threaded PCGI server
really does not have ftp/dav, but if you've started Zope via ZServer - no
problem, configure ZServer to run ftp and/or dav.

>  - why give yourself the extra overhead of starting a new wrapper
> process every time you want to connect to Zope?

   No extra wrapper, just another Apache module (mod_pcgi2 or mod_fastcgi).

> Finally, let me turn the question around: why *should* you use pcgi?

   Because I am the author of said mod_pcgi2! :) I love it!!! And I found
there are more troubles (for me) configuring mod_proxy/mod_rewrite.

Oleg.
--
     Oleg Broytmann     http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/     phd@phd.pp.ru