[Zope] Still lost

Philip Kilner phil@xfr.co.uk
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 12:20:37 GMT

Hi John,

In article <20011224202013.20181.qmail@web21104.mail.yahoo.com>, John public wrote:
> Glad to hear I can do a lot without coding in Python. However I am still lost.

Bear with us - it's fiddly (Under Win98), but you'll get there...

> Url's did not work for me. I am running windows 98.
>
> Zope Website folder? Is that a folder on the Zope web site or a folder titled website in what I dowloaded? If the latter I cannot find it.

By default c:\program files\website - the folder you installed your Zope software to.

> Zope runs as a service?? You mean Zope becomes my ISP? Or something like that?

No - under Windows NT/2K programs that run effectively as part of the system (e.g. are always there in the background) are called services.

Under Windows 98 the Zope /server/ runs as a program in a DOS box, with only scrolling system messages being displyed (I think - don't use 98!).

You need to understand that Zope is both a web and an application server. The "user interface"
for the software is effectively a website runing locally. In other words, Zope is a server, your web
browser is a client - but both are running on your machine.

> Still lost, but encouraged to hear that it is easier than Python.
> I am getting somewhere with Python, slowly. So I guess I might somewhere
> with Zope not so slowly.  If only I
> can install it and find the start button. :)

I see you have posted some more messages. I'll keep plugging away!

Regards,

PhilK