[Zope] eCommerce with Zope

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:55:44 +0100

Hi Ragnar,

>> Hi,
>>
>>> Howdy!

>>> As a user I'd expect to get an immediate feedback like "verifying your
>>> credit card ... (please wait)" or "checking whether this domain name is
>>> available ..." and then after a while see the results without any
>>> further action. This is would be a typical job for multipart
>>> content-type, wouldn't it?

>> The most elegant solution so far is to use a
>> so called meta-refresh
>
> The problem with that is the flickering. So I used it for redirects only
> so far. But maybe it's more acceptable with 5 seconds delay or so.

No. There is absolutely no flickering at all if you set it up like I
mentioned.
The browser blocks and shows the page with the meta-refresh until the server
answers. With zope the servers answers only if all data has been created so
its
save.

form -> server sends immediately the page with the meta-refresh with 0
seconds waiting.
Only encoding the parameters in the URL or using session for this.

The useragent then displays the page with the meta-refresh showing
something like
"please wait" and then connects to the server again, still displaying.

Now the server begins the real work to check or calculate. If its ready it
will answer
the request finaly, resulting in an immediately display of the results.

This works fine for us - we use it for long term database actions in our
shop.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain